Supplies You'll Need for Class
Before beginning the class, please make sure you have the following items. You’ll need these vital elements to make sewing your skirt a breeze. I'll talk more about the kind of thread to create the pleats and sew them in Lesson 4.
Basic Sewing Kit:
- Scissors and fabric shears (Optional: rotary cutter & mat); pinking shears if you wish to finish edges that way
- Seam ripper
- Seam gauge
- Clear rulers and fabric measuring tape; a 48" long yard stick and a T- or L-square ruler are handy yet optional
- Machine & hand needles (I use size 80/12 for nearly all fabrics)
- Long hand sewing needles - embroidery or millinery work best
- Straight pins: multi-colored ball head pins work well for pinning the pleats
- Basic thread for seams; heavy duty thread in a matching color for pleating
- Steam iron and long ironing surface (ironing board)
- Safety pins
- Marking pencil or pen (Tiger Tape or gingham fabric are options)
- Closure: hook & eye sets or skirt hook & bar
You'll also want a calculator handy to figure yardage.